I’m attending Free State Social today virtually, because I wasn’t able to make it to Lawrence, Kansas. I thought I’d share my notes with you are. Here’s what I’ve gathered from Chris Brogan, who was one of the best speakers during the course of the day. Chris spoke on ‘Adjusting your marketing spend and tactics for social media’.
Main points/quotes from his presentation:
- “Great customer service trumps good marketing”
- “You’ve got a new phone (social media), and it’s ringing.”
- My favorite thing to track in social media is the dollar sign.
- When you sell me something that costs me a lot of money, and then you never talk to me again until you want to sell me something else, that makes me upset.
- We are so sick of funny ads. We are so sick of serious ads.
- Community matters. Relationships matter.
- We’ve got to think of our customer database as gold.
- 3 buckets in social media: listening, connecting, publishing
- If what you say on a blog is interesting, then lots of people will follow.
- Promote other people 12 times as much. It’s better when other people talk about you.
- When people say you’re good in bed, that’s marketing. When others say you’re good in bed, that’s PR
- A million miles in a 1000 years- Don Miller (Book recommendation)
- Questions to ask:
- How do we share?
- How do we give our ideas handles?
- What story are we telling?
- New Trends for 2010-2011
- Social CRM
- Mobile Devices
- Velvet rope social communities (niche)
- 3rd tribe marketing
Check out my other re-caps from Free State Social!