When we say search engine optimization, it reminds us of Matt Cutts, Rand Fishkin, or Loren Baker. These men are noteworthy advocates and considered as authority figures in the SEO industry. Well, we can’t argue with that.
But, whoever said that search engine optimization is a man’s world is downright mistaken. To say that thought leaders in the SEO industry include great women is an understatement. There are a number of women who has been providing valuable tips about SEO and their teachings are continuously making a dent in SEO history. Women are dominating the world of search and this is proven by their influence and number of Twitter following.
Wondering who these women are? Here is a list of 25 women in search who are definitely worth following on Twitter:
- Heather Lloyd – Heather Lloyd-Martin is the brain behind seocopywriting.com. Forbes has described her as the “pioneer of SEO copywriting”. Heather capitalizes on her 17 years of experience in SEO copywriting to provide training and consultation to those looking for information on how to develop SEO-friendly copy.
- Elisabeth Osmeloski – Elisabeth Osmeloski is VP of Audience Development for Search Engine Land and Marketing Land. As a part of her role, she is responsible for increasing readership through owned, earned and paid media channels. Her experience in SEO goes as far back as 1999.
- Michelle Robbins – Michelle Robbins is the Vice President of Technology for Search Engine Land’s parent company, Third Door Media. Michelle oversees and implements all technical initiatives for each of the company’s brands. She also lead several of Bing Ads’ “Janes of Digital” networking events which are focused on bringing women and men in digital marketing together to discuss issues relating to workplace collaboration.
- Stephanie Tilton – Stephanie Tilton is a content marketing consultant for B2B. She helps B2B companies craft content that engages prospects and customers, nurtures leads and advances the buying cycle.
- Debra Mastaler – Debra Mastaler owns Affiliate-Link.com, a company that offers custom link building services, link building training, content promotion and a marketing tool directory. In 2011, Debra was named one of Search Marketing Standard Magazine’s “Women of Internet Marketing ” and also received the “Top SEO Women’s Award”
- Kate Morris – Kate Morris specializes in international search marketing, content creation, online marketing strategy, and search engine marketing (paid and organic). A regular speaker at PubCon and Affiliate Summit and she blogs regularly at SEOmoz.com and Search Engine Journal.
- Jen Sable Lopez – Jen Sable Lopez is the Former Sr. Director of Community & Audience Development of Moz.com. She directed the renowned Moz Marketing Team that built a community and online education center of digital marketers and SEOs from inception to global brand recognition, now encompassing more than 2 million monthly visitors.
- Julie Joyce – Julie Joyce is the Owner and Director of Operations for the link building company Link Fish Media, Inc. She also contributes monthly articles to Search Engine Land.
- Lisa Myers – Lisa Myers is the CEO & Founder of the SEO Agency Verve Search. A self-proclaimed SEO lover. She founded Women In Search, a dedicated website featuring talented women in search.
- Annie Cushing – Annie Cushing is the woman behind Annielytics.com. Annie gives practical strategies to help businesses use data to help them analyze social media success and competitive intelligence.
- Nichola Stott – Nichola Stott is the Managing Director of theMediaFlow. With her extensive digital marketing experience, she is able to manage the company’s business direction and is responsible for the approach to client marketing strategies.
- Ruth Burr – Ruth Burr Reedy is the Director of Strategy @UpBuildTeam. She is an independent SEO consultant and was previously the Head of SEO at Moz (formerly SEOmoz).
- Megan Leap – Megan Leap is a revenue-focused digital marketing consultant. She was named one of PPCHero’s Top 25 Most Influential PPC Experts in 2014.
- Jennifer Slegg – Jennifer Slegg is the Founder & Editor of The SEM Post, a news site focusing on SEO, PCC, SEM, Social Media and everything else in between. She writes about all things search which includes many aspects of Google, search engine optimization & marketing, and social media marketing.
- Sarah Bird – Sarah Bird is the CEO of Moz. She heads up the legal, finance, human resources, facilities, and customer service departments at Moz. Sarah loves and welcomes conversations on inbound marketing, business models, entrepreneurship, productivity tips, women in tech, and fostering inspiring company culture.
- Ann Handley – Ann Handley is the Head of Content at MarketingProfs. She is the author of the Wall Street Journal bestseller, Everybody Writes. Ann is a veteran of creating and managing digital content to build relationships for organizations and individuals.
- Heather Lutze, CSP – Heather Lutze is the Master Trainer & Owner of Findability University. Heather is the widely acclaimed speaker who wrote the books – The Findability Formula: The Easy, Non-Technical Approach to Search Engine Marketing and Thumbonomics: The Essential Business Roadmap for Social Media & Mobile Marketing. Her writing and in-demand keynotes and workshops are delivered with the same witty, “no-geek-speak” style that has managed to demystify internet marketing for countless business owners.
- Ann Smarty – Ann Smarty is the Brand manager at Ninjas Marketing and the Founder MyBlogU.com & ViralContentBuzz.com. Ann has been an online marketing consultant for 10 years providing high-quality digital marketing consulting through her services and courses.
- Carrie Hill – Carrie Hill is the Co-Founder of Ignitor Digital. She has been digging into SEO since 2006. Carrie’s current passion is the Semantic Web and the opportunities that Schema.org presents for all website owners.
- Janet Driscoll Miller – Janet Driscoll Miller is the Founder, president and CEO of Marketing Mojo – a full-service, data-driven digital marketing and demand generation agency.
- Jessica Bowman – Jessica Bowman is an Enterprise-level SEO consultant specializing in SEO Strategy, Technical SEO & Evaluating Processes for SEO. She is also the Author of the The New SEO Management Handbook for Enterprise-level Executives
- Susan Dolan – Susan Dolan is a Google Expert at SEO Web Marketing who work with clients all over the world to secure permanent Page 1 SERPs on Google, Bing and Yahoo!
- Maria Pergolino – Maria Pergolino is the Senior Vice President Marketing – Apttus (Previously Marketo). Her most popular speaking topics at present include improving the perception of marketing inside your organization and best practices in Target Account Marketing.
- Aleyda Solis – Aleyda Solis is an International SEO Consultant & Speaker. She is also the Founder of Orainti. Aleyda was included in Forbes as one of the 10 Digital Marketing specialists to follow in 2015 and in Entrepreneur as one of the 50 Online Marketing Influencers to follow in 2016.
- Kelsey Jones – Can we mention our founder? Kelsey Jones is the Executive Editor of Search Engine Journal and has spoken at Pubcon, State of Search, SEJ Summit, and more.
Make sure you follow these women in search if you’d want to learn more about SEO. Do you have anyone else who you think should be added to this list?
*Featured image made in Canva.